Describe an important skill you learned when you were a child
• What this skill was
• When you learned it
• How you learned it
• And explain why you think it was important
• I have learnt many skills in my childhood from people around me in my life.
• Here I would like to talk about a very useful skill of cooking, which I learnt from my mother.
• My mother is in her forties and she is very tall and beautiful.
• She has a gifted hand in cooking.
• She has her unique way of teaching us, I mean me and my sister, how to cook.
• She never made us feel as if she was teaching us.
• She just kept us involved in the kitchen while she cooked.
• We learnt a lot just by observing her.
• I learnt cooking because I too want to be able to cook like her.
• I also learnt cooking because it is a very useful skill in today’s time.
• Moreover, as I plan to go abroad for my higher education, this skill will be very useful.
• I will not face any food problems.
• I am a vegetarian and I have heard that veg. food outlets are very few in foreign countries.
• This skill has proved very useful because many times I have been able to attend to guests when my mother was not at home.
• My mother not only taught me simple routine cooking but also some Chinese dishes.
• She also taught me how to make pizzas in the electric tandoor.
• She also bakes excellent cakes.
• Whenever anybody in our neighbourhood celebrates a birthday, the cake is always baked by my mother.
• She loves experimenting in the kitchen and she has many of her own recipes which are quick and easy and at the same time very delicious.
• She also presents her dishes very well.
• She says that the look of the dish is as important as its taste.
• I am fortunate, I have a talented mother who has taught me this useful skill.
1. What age will make it difficult for a person to learn a skill?
I believe that age is not a factor. Willingness to learn can make a person of any age learn anything. Recently, I taught my grandpa how to use a computer and made his facebook ID. Now he and his computer are inseparable. He is very active on the facebook.
2. Will the age of 5 or 20 be better?
It depends on the skill. If the skill is stitching clothes, then 20 is better. If the skill is related to technology, the 5 is as good as 20.
3. Who will you learn a skill from, friends, teachers or parents?
I will learn from anyone who is willing to teach me patiently. I can also learn from the Youtube videos on the net.
4. What’s the difference between children learning what they like and learning what they have to learn?
Children learn very quickly if they like what they are learning. But if they are forced to learn, they do not learn it well, as it is a half hearted approach.