Describe a place near water (such as a river, lake or the ocean) that you enjoyed visiting
• Where was this place?
• What did you do at this place?
• Who went there with you?
• Explain why you liked this place.
• There are a number of places in India with lots of water.
• There are lakes and rivers and sea-shores.
• Here I am going to talk about the Sukhna Lake.
• It is in Chandigarh.
• I went there with my school trip when I was in 10th.
• I remember we were 30 students and four teachers.
• We went by bus.
• We did a lot of activities there.
• We did boating.
• We also did some shopping from a souvenir shop over there.
• There were many food stalls over there.
• We enjoyed spicy water balls over there.
• I liked the boating part the best.
• I disliked that many people were littering the place with wrappers of food
items and empty water bottles
• Sukhna lake is the greatest gift from Le Corbusier to the people of Chandigarh.
• The lake is fringed by a golf course to the south and Nek Chand’s famous Rock Garden to its west.
• It is a man-made lake.
• It was made in 1958.
• The people of Chandigarh love Sukhna.
• It is a venue for many festive celebrations.
• The most famous is mango festival which is held during monsoon where varieties of mangoes are on display.
• This is also a spot for bird watchers.
• The children enjoy a number of joy rides and a mini train.
• In the evenings Sukhna comes alive with tourists.
• I like it because of its picturesque beauty.
• In the background are the hills of Kasauli.
• As night descends, the lights from the hills of Kasauli present a bewitching sight.
1. Why do so many people like going to places near water, such as lakes, rivers or oceans?
Many people like going to places near water, such as lakes, rivers or oceans, because these are natural places, where people can enjoy the beauty of nature and relax. It acts as a break and a stress buster. It also gives people an opportunity to spend time with family and friends. Some people enjoy activities like fishing, swimming and other water sports, for which they like visiting places near water.
2. What kind of leisure activities do people like to do, in places like the ocean, at the beach, river, lake etc.
People like to do many leisure activities in places near water, like water sports, fishing and swimming. Some people like to relax on the beach and they like to read or just sun bathe. Some people like making sand art on the beach or pay beach volleyball and other such beach sports.
3. As a place to spend leisure time, do you think a beach or seaside is more suitable for children or old people?
I think it is equally suitable for both the young and the old. The activities may differ for both the age groups, but as a place for spending leisure time, it suits everyone. The young may want to do more of water sports and the old people usually just like to relax, sun bather or read at the beach.
4. Do you think children and old people do the same type of things when they go to a beach?
It depends on their choice; however, mostly the youngsters like to do more adventurous and physical activities, like water sports, playing volleyball and so on. The older people like to do more relaxed activities, like sun bathing, reading, sand art, and so on.
5. What kind of activities would you do, if you were spending leisure time at a beach or near the ocean?
If I were spending leisure time at a beach or near the ocean, I would try the water sports like, water skiing, surfing, deep sea diving or scuba diving.
If I were spending leisure time at a beach or near the ocean, I would like to enjoy the beauty of the nature. I would like to relax on the beach and read a book. I would also like to collect shells on the beach.
6. Why do some people like water sports?
Some people like water sports because water gives a sense of thrill and it makes them feel refreshed. Water can give us a sense of adventure as well as relaxation. It is also a very good form of physical exercise, which is good for our overall fitness.
7. Do you think government should invest money in developing facilities for water sports?
Yes, I think government should invest in developing facilities for water sports, as it is a good form of physical exercise for people. Also, those who have an interest in water sports can make use of these facilities and pursue it as a career, bringing name and fame to the country. Also, if there are good facilities built for such sports, it may become a source of income for the government, as international water sports events can be held at such venues. Of course, all this should be done after the government has taken care of more important issues, like poverty, illiteracy and unemployment.
8. Do you think that human activity is posing a threat to the oceans of the world?
Yes, human activity is causing global warming. Because of global warming, ocean water is also getting heated up and this is affecting marine life. Moreover, people and big industries are dumping their effluents in the oceans and this is a cause for alarm.
I think it is very important to save the oceans. We are directly or indirectly influenced by the oceans. Ocean waters serve as a source of food and valuable minerals such as salt which we use daily in our food. Oceans also are used for commerce. For example, pearls taken from oysters are used in jewelry, and shells and coral are used as building materials. They also provide a place for recreation. Each year more people are attracted to the sports of swimming, fishing, scuba diving, boating, and waterskiing.
9. How important is water in people’s everyday lives?
Water is as necessary natural resource. Humans need access to clean, safe drinking water in order to live. Poor water quality is a major cause of disease and death in some countries. Water usually needs to be treated before we can drink it. Developing countries often lack the means to treat and supply water to citizens. Developed countries tend to have much better sanitation. Citizens should have access to clean tap water. Drinking water should not be contaminated by sewage or waste water. The supply of clean water would improve public health in many developing countries
10.What do you think are the advantages or disadvantages of traveling on the ocean?
There are many advantages of traveling on the oceans. We get to enjoy the beauty of nature and get knowledge about marine life. It is a good way to spend quality time with friends and family. It acts as a break from our routine, by providing a unique traveling experience.
There are also many disadvantages of traveling on the oceans. It leads to water pollution, thus affecting the marine life. If there are accidents or mishaps, it may lead to oil spills, which adversely affects the aquatic animals and plants. The time taken when travelling by oceans is also much more than other means of transport. There may be extreme weather conditions on the oceans, leading to accidents and in such circumstances the rescue work also becomes very difficult.