Describe a toy that you received when you were a child
• What the toy was
• Who gave it to you
• How you used it
• Explain how you felt when you got this toy
• I had many toys in my childhood but here I am going to talk about my electric toy car.
• My father gifted it to me on my 11th birthday.
• I used to spend hours playing with it.
• I was greatly fascinated by it
• It was red in colour
• It worked with four pen torch batteries fixed in a box under the car
• When I switched it on, it would move in all directions
• If there was an obstacle on the way then the car could change directions
• Along with that it had lights which flickered at times.
• I was so fascinated by this car that I used to finish its batteries very soon.
• I used to show it to my friends with pride.
• None of my other friends had such a beautiful toy car.
• I just loved it when I saw the jealous look in their eyes.
• I remember, once I took it to school in my bag.
• When I came home I got a big spanking from my mother.
• I was very possessive about my car and never used to let anyone touch it.
• Even though I don’t play with the car any more I still have it in my room
• Its colour has faded now but it has emotional value for me.
• That is why I have never thought of giving it away to my younger cousins.
• It brings back nostalgic memories of my childhood
1. Do Chinese people often give gifts?
Yes, Chinese people like to give gifts. They give gifts on special occasions such as marriages, birthdays and anniversaries etc.
2. What’s the value of giving presents?
Gifts are gestures of love. They give happiness to the giver as well as the receiver.
3. Describe some of the gifts that Indian people give each other on different occasions.
People give all sorts of gifts to each other. They give sweets, chocolates, clothes, electronic items or gift cards to their friends and relatives.
4. What kinds of gifts are suitable for friends to give each other?
Friends know each other well, so they can give any gift, which can be useful to the other person. The gift need not be expensive. It should be taken as a gesture of love and not for economic value.
5. What factors do people consider when buying a gift for friends?
People consider a lot of things when buying a gift for friends. They consider the friends requirement and they consider their own pocket.
6. Why do people give presents?
People give presents as gestures of love. Presents give happiness to the recipient as well as the person who is giving the present.
7. Do children prefer receiving gifts or spending happy time with their parents?
Children are very innocent. They love receiving gifts. They take the happy time with their parents as granted. So, they don’t give it much value.
8. Compare the kinds of gifts that boys like with those that girls like?
Gender differences are disappearing nowadays. But generally boys like electronic gadgets and girls like barbie dolls and stuffed toys.
9. Compare the kinds of gifts that well educated people like with those that less educated people like?
I do not think that the literacy level of the person has anything to do with the choice of gifts. Every person has his or her own taste. A very educated person may not appreciate a book as a gift, which may be very much liked and appreciated by a less educated person
10. Are expensive gifts always better than cheap gifts?
I definitely do not think so. A simple inexpensive flower may give more happiness to the person than a very costly gift.
11. Do men and women have the same attitudes towards gift giving?
There are no gender differences nowadays. Both like to give and receive gifts and even the choice of the gifts is almost similar nowadays.
12. How are gifts that people give each other today different to gifts when you were a child?
Today we belong to an era of globalization. The market today is flooded with choices. You can buy any gift, and there are gifts to suit every pocket. Earlier, the choices were restricted. Today we have a lot of electronic items also.
13. How are toys today different to toys of the past?
Today we have electronic toys, whereas earlier we had wooden toys and plastic toys.
14. How do you think toys will change in the future?
What the future holds in store for us no one can tell, but as far as I can see, there will be more and more electronic gadgets in the future, which the children will play with as toys.
15. If you were going to give a present to a child, what would you give him?
I would give a child, a book as a gift. He may not like it at first, but it will shortly develop the habit of reading one day. I believe that books are the best gifts. They remain with that person forever.
16. When you buy toys for very young children and babies, what should you pay special attention to?
When I buy toys for very young children, I pay special attention to the age rating on the toy. I would also not like to buy anything in low quality plastic, because that can be harmful for the child.
17. What kinds of gifts do parents give to their young children?
Pendants give all sorts of gifts to their children. They know the requirement of their children and give gifts accordingly. Mostly parents give educational gifts, from which the child can learn something in a fun way.
18. Is it good to give children too many presents such as too many toys?
No it is definitely not good to give a child too many presents. Children do not appreciate the value of toys when they are given too many toys. It also decreases their imagination and creativity. They also do not learn sharing with other children.
19. What could be the result of that? (same as above)
20. Some parents don’t spend much time with their child but instead give the child gifts as a way to show their love. Do you think this is good enough?
No I do not think this is good enough. The time been didn’t spend with the children is more important then the gifts they give them.