Describe a big company you are interested in.
• What is the company called
• How do you know this company
• What kind of business this company does
• What kinds of interesting activities does the company have
• I belong to Phagwara and it is the hub of small scale industry.
• Many such industries have made it big within a few years.
• The big company I’m going to talk about here is called Akal Industries
• My friend Aman’s father runs this industry
• I can say that it is interesting because I have seen it grow to great heights in the past few years.
• His father, Jatinder Singh and his uncle, Parminder Singh are partners in this business.
• One brother looks after the sales and the other looks after the manufacturing section.
• Four years ago Aman’s cousin, Inderpal joined them and now Aman is planning to join them after completing his course in Business Management.
• This business was started by Aman’s grandfather with a handful of workers about 50 years ago but now they have 1000 people working for them round the clock and they manufacture and supply auto spare parts to various countries like Germany, France, US and Canada.
• They have a very good rapport with their workers and whenever they fulfil big orders, they give bonuses to them.
• Aman tells me that his mother and aunt look after the needs of the workers’ families from time to time.
• They make them feel part of their family and that is why they have never faced shortage of labour.
• Aman tells me that if any worker is absent or not well, his father takes his place and does not let the work suffer.
• They also give a lot of emphasis on quality and that is why their products are in great demand in Germany and France.
• Although Aman’s family is very rich, they are very humble and magnanimous.
• His father keeps donating for charity on special occasions.
• So, this is the big company that I am interested in.
1. Difference between big companies and small companies?
There are many differences between big and small companies. To begin with, big companies offer bigger pay packages than small companies. Secondly, these companies give many perks and bonuses from time to time. These companies give benefits like health insurance and travel allowance. Another big advantage of big companies is that it is a status symbol to work in these companies. Furthermore, they provide opportunities to travel overseas. Moreover, in a big company hands on training is provided to all new workers. On the other hand, in a small company, everybody knows everybody. You are not part of a big crowd as in a big company. If you do some good work, you are applauded for it.
2. Are there many big companies in your country?
Yes, there are. India is a fast developing country. There are many Indian companies, which are very big such as Tata, Mahindra, Godrej, Reliance, Videocon, Onida and so on. There are also many multinational giants which have opened branches in India, such as Samsung, LG, Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and so on.
3. What are the good things about working for a big company?
4. How can a small company grow big?
Small companies can do so in many ways. They can work hard, employ skilled workers, focus on quality and employ good marketing strategies.
5. Should big companies donate more to charities?
Yes, they should. I believe that anyone who has enough should help the needy on humanitarian grounds. Many big companies help the NGOs and NPOs. This is a win-win situation for both. When they get publicity for their charity work, they are getting advertisement for free.
6. Should big companies be punished more seriously if they break the law? No, they should not. Law should be the same for all – big as well as small companies. Usually, big companies have big connections. So, they try to get away with their wrong doings. This also should not happen. Punishment should be equally serious for all law offenders.